7.13.2013

Meeting My Biological Family - The Backstory

I think everyone is aware of the fact that I’m adopted. It’s not a secret nor has it ever been. I’ve known since I could walk and talk that I was adopted at 3 day’s old and was the family Christmas present that year.

When I was 23, I was married and figured it was time I located my biological mother (Marilyn). To make a long story short, my Dad and I both located her and we began a friendship. In 2001, I flew to the Hampton Virginia area for work and Marilyn I decided to meet for lunch in Williamsburg.

That was the one and only time I met her and over the years we drifted apart. It’s not a big deal because all friends drift apart. Who knew social media could actually be a positive thing, go figure. Somehow, Marilyn and her sister Elaine became Facebook friends. Oh, I now have a few of my biological cousins on my friends list.

To make another long story short, Marilyn contacted me in May 2013 and wanted me to travel to Georgia for her birthday but most of the family wouldn’t be there. The timing didn’t work out and we changed the plans for July, which was also her high school reunion weekend at Amelia Island. The reunion was for everyone who graduated in the 1960’s, which means that Elaine will also be in attendance. I’m not sure about Lou or Libby but I believe they are 1970’s grads.

Marilyn wanted to show me off and has already started by posting pictures of me all over Facebook. In her words “it’s a southern thing and what we do” and also “I want to show you off”. Not too sure how I feel about being shown off/displayed and I have to admit to feeling some reluctance. The feeling is about my insecurities and not wanting to offend anyone and make my family uncomfortable.

My mom and dad both think it’s great that I’m meeting my biological family. They are so curious and want to hear about everything. They want to know if I have similarities in personality, appearance, likes vs. dislikes, upon meeting the family. My parents are very secure in their status as my parents, their relationship with me and are willing to share. They won’t give me back but they will share; isn’t that pleasant!

Before I went home to Bakersfield to help mom out (broken arm), I was really nervous about going to Georgia and the reunion but now, not so much. I think I’ve been so focused on the PMP exam and taking care of mom that my nervousness just went away. Or, it’s in hiding and will jump up and smack me down right before I travel. I think this is actually the case but hey, nothing I can do about it and will just embrace the emotional rollercoaster I’m about to ride.

No comments: