This weekend has been so much fun. Dee came out to see me and run around DC. I wanted to ensure she got the full experience or at least as much of it as possible. We metro’d and walked a lot.
Friday (9/25) – We took the Open Top Sightseeing Tour leaving from Arlington National Cemetery. We took the metro from Pentagon City Mall to Arlington and caught the bus. That tour is so good. The first stop was at the Memorials. We spent a good few hours just walking around the Memorials. Oh, Dee’s head was spinning. It must have been “bring your Army to Memorial Day” because Airborne was out in force. She kept saying “they are everywhere, I’m moving”!! Sister……we are too much a like.
From the Memorials we toured the rest of the city and stopped at Dupont Circle. We had dinner plans for 6pm and it was perfect timing. We walked about a block over to my favorite Indian restaurant on Connecticut Ave and met Kim and Naomi for dinner. Dee loved the food and the company.
We went home after dinner by taking the metro back to the Mall. Exhaustion about covers it. We crashed around 10:30pm.
Saturday (10am) – We went back to Pentagon City Mall and took the metro to Archive station. We walked around and found the National Archive. The building contains the Magna Carta, Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution. We spent a good amount of time there reading the documents and just taking it all in. Did you know they have the “draft” constitution in there, with lines through it and everything?
From there we walked around the Gallery Garden and then went to Natural History Museum. Now that is cool. So many dinosaurs and fossils; you can lost for a day in there.
Next we took the metro over too Gallery and walked down to the International Spy Museum. It isn’t free but it was worth every penny. I think we were in there a good couple of hours. It’s also fairly interactive; I was “Greta” the spy!
We went to lunch and then went over to “Peterson House”; the house where Abe Lincoln died. It’s directly across from the Ford’s Theatre. The house tiny and you aren’t allowed to go upstairs but it was still pretty interesting. We went over to Madame Tussauds Wax Museum and it is not worth the money for “non-locals”. However, I managed to make it a good time. Go see the pictures and you will understand.
Just across the street was the American Art Museum. We went in and Dee got lost in all the art. She loved it. You need an entire day at each museum. The funniest part, we went into the courtyard and there was the TV Answer Man; dressed in his ? mark jacket.
We were so exhausted at this point (6pm) that we metro’d home and didn’t go out to eat. I wanted to take her to Moroccan food but my feet were falling off, my head hurt, and my entire body was stiff. We ordered Chinese/Thai food and crashed at home.
I had the best time with my sister and I can’t wait for her to come out again.
2 comments:
Hey Kat! I am going to be in Baltimore Nov 1-6 for a conference. Maybe we can hookup for dinner one night. I will be staying at the Marriott in the Inner Harbor. Unfortunately, I will not have a vehicle, but I will do my best to get around if needed.
I can probably make it out there! I do have car now and can find my way around. Let me know when you arrive.
Post a Comment