8.16.2011

Sou’Wester at Mandarin Oriental – 16 August 2011

Tonight we dined at Sou’Wester located within the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. This restaurant features traditional favorites as well as interpretive takes on American comfort food. First, I read reviews on this restaurant; there was a mix of good or blah. We loved the entire experience. Starting from our view, to the décor, our server, and finally our amazing deserts; what a delightful evening with my friends.

Yes, its Restaurant week and sometimes dining during this week doesn’t always bring out the very best in the quality of food or server but I cannot agree with any review that states this restaurant or food is disappointing.

We arrived for an early reservation and had an amazing view of the wharf on such a beautiful evening. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and how the dishes were prepared. Her recommendations were spot on, she was courteous, polite, friendly, and everything you want in a server.

The courses as a whole were wonderful! While my soup was just ok, the Cheddar and scallion hush puppy was absolutely amazing. I've never had such a moist hush puppy. I also couldn’t get over the creaminess of the grits. The shrimp was seasoned perfectly with just enough spice as to not overwhelm the flavor of the seafood but I tasted a hint of kick.

The “under a brick” Chicken was killer! Yes, I sampled my guests food and they sampled mine!! The extra virgin olive oil gave the skin a crispiness but not the chicken wasn't dry. The potatoes were crispy but not overcooked; simply scrumptious is all I can say.

I think my desert was by far the best; Blackberry cornbread buckle with Sweet Corn Ice Cream. Whoever came up with combining blackberry & cornbread (which I have never heard of cornbread buckle) and sweet corn ice cream is an evil genius. This desert would be amazing during Thanksgiving!

To see the pictures go to:
http://katfrancis.shutterfly.com/7115


Our menu:
Mine:
-Chilled Tomato Soup with Cheddar and scallion Hush Puppy
-Grilled North Carolina Shrimp with Anson Mills Grits, Roasted Tomato, Pearl Onions, Felts Country Ham Sauce
-Blackberry cornbread buckle with Sweet Corn Ice Cream

Guest 1:
-Chilled Iceberg Wedge Salad with Cherry Tomatoes and Bacon Bits with Herb-Buttermilk Dressing
-Grilled Ayrshire Farms Chicken “under a brick” Extra Virgin Olive Oil Braised Spinach, Crispy “Smashed and Fried” Potatoes, and Lemon-Rosemary Jam
-Cheesecake with Raspberry Sorbet

Guest 2:
-Summer Melon and Felt Country Ham Salad with Burrata Cheese and Aged Balsamic
-Grilled Ayrshire Farms Chicken “under a brick” Extra Virgin Olive Oil Braised Spinach, Crispy “Smashed and Fried” Potatoes, and Lemon-Rosemary Jam
-Harris Orchard Blueberry Shortcake with Blueberry Compote, Sweet Cream

No comments: