8.11.2012

The Winners for Restaurant Week Summer 2012

I’ve been in the DC metro area for about 3.5 years and have been able to dine at some of the best restaurants in the area. Quite a few of these are in the Top 100.  Yes, I plan to eat my way through DC, that is no secret.

I’ve been planning for Summer Restaurant Week (RW) since the 2012 Top 100 Restaurants in DC list was made public earlier this year. Yes, it came out in April so only about 4 months of investigating. That isn’t much, is it? Not to mention the one restaurant I’ve wanted to try wasn’t on the list anymore (I don’t care) but maybe this is a blessing for reservations. There were so many new restaurants on the list and old favorites were off the list.

Picking the right restaurant is tough work. You need to read the official reviews and then go to Yelp to see what people really think about the food and service. After my Vidalia experience, I don’t go out to eat at “nice” restaurants without reading Yelp.

My list of the yummy tummy experience: CoCo Sala, Belga Café and Heritage Indian (can’t count how many times for both), Café du Parc, Firefly, Ceiba (three times) and Tosca (twice), Vidalia, Cava, 1789, Sou’Wester, The Oval Room, Neyla, Art and Soul, and Tallula.

I monitored the internet for weeks looking for the official dates to be announced. I had checked on the 12th of July but nothing. So wouldn’t you know it that on Friday the 13th while I was chin deep in PowerPoint that the announcement went out and my colleagues didn’t tell me? What the heck man, I didn’t get the notice on my cell phone because the announcement went to my SPAM (got to fix that for winter 2013).

I got online and went straight to Open Table, scanned the list and sure enough, the three restaurants I had chosen were participating. Actually, I picked ten (backups!) but who’s counting!! I looked at the list at 3:15pm and by 3:35pm I had all three reservations!!!

The winners for summer 2012 Restaurant Week:

RIS - French classics and American comfort food

Acadiana - Cajun/Creole

Vermilion – Modern American flavor in Old Town Alexandria

Bastille - French in Old Town Alexandria (Alexandria RW)

No comments: